A recent accident involving a vehicle in the convoy of Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, and a Mercedes Benz GL450. Consequently, stirring up a heated debate online. The incident occurred on February 26, 2025, around 6 pm on the road leading to the Otedola Underbridge from the Alausa Secretariat area.
Accident Details Emerge
According to the driver of the car, Raymond Abiodun, one of the vehicles in the convoy accidentally bashed his vehicle. Furthermore, Mr. Abiodun said he had already been passed by the traffic light and did not see any reason for such. Abiodun recounted, “The vehicle was the last one; I think it was left behind, and it was coming with speed, and the driver just dashed in from the expressway without considering that other vehicles were stopping.”
Convoy Aides Claim Driver’s Fault
However, one of the security details in the convoy, Saleh Ahmed, claimed that the Mercedes was at fault. Contrarily, the driver did not obey convey movement as he jumped into the convoy by overtaking one of the vehicles. Nevertheless, Ahmed stated, “When something like that happens, we cannot just judge. Hence, the very reason I said we should go to the police station.”

Car Owner Demands Justice
Meanwhile, the owner of the Mercedes Benz, Mrs. Babaita Ibironke, demanded that her vehicle be repaired by the state government. Subsequently, Ibironke expressed, “My driver told me what happened. So, I drove down to the police station. Immediately, I saw the DPO and the woman who explained what they told her. In summary, I saw the impact on my car.”
Governor’s Aide Weighs In
Governor Abiodun’s aide, Kayode Akinmade, emphasized that it was wrong for the driver to overtake a convoy for security reasons. Additionally, Akinmade noted, “When you see a convoy, you must park. Even the traffic law states that the moment you hear their siren, you must park.”
Police Investigation Ongoing
The Divisional Police Officer at Alausa, Toyosi Shokinbi, promised to investigate the matter further. Nevertheless, as the investigation continues, the debate surrounding the accident remains a contentious issue.

The Recklessness of Nigerian Government Convoys: A Threat to Citizens’ Safety
Nigerian government convoys recklessly disregard traffic laws, posing a significant threat to citizens’ safety. Consequently, people have lost their lives to their recklessness and lawlessness.
Speed and Recklessness
Convoy drivers speed recklessly, ignoring traffic laws and putting citizens’ lives at risk. They drive at breakneck speeds, disregarding traffic lights and pedestrian crossings. This behaviour undermines the rule of law and sets a bad example.
Intimidation and Disregard for Traffic Laws
Convoy drivers intimidate other road users by driving on the wrong side of the road. They ignore traffic lights, forcing other drivers to yield. This behaviour creates a sense of impunity among convoy drivers.
Lack of Accountability
Government officials fail to hold convoy drivers accountable for their actions. Citizens bear the brunt of convoy drivers’ recklessness, with no recourse. This lack of accountability perpetuates a culture of impunity.
Citizens’ Lives Matter
The government must prioritise citizens’ safety. Convoy drivers must respect traffic laws and other road users. Citizens deserve protection from the government, not intimidation.
Reform and Accountability
To address the issue, the government must implement stricter traffic laws and regulations. Convoy drivers must undergo training on defensive driving and road safety. The government must hold convoy drivers accountable for their actions, ensuring citizens’ safety.